• General Stark Birthplace
  • Flag Retirement Ceremony
  • Traveling Chapter Display
  • Chapter Meeting
  • Home of George and Molly Reid
  • Chapter Members

Historic Markers


General John Stark Birthplace


pix The earliest work of the chapter was the marking of the birthplace of General John Stark, on the Joseph White farm in southern Derry. A granite stone and tablet was placed by the chapter on August 3, 1897, by Regent Annie Bartlett Shepard, on Stark Road in Derry. The monument marks the birthplace of General Stark, hero of Bunker Hill and Bennington, and one of New Hampshire's renowned military leaders. Stark is known for penning what is now the state motto, "Live Free or Die."

In 2009, the marker was moved as part of a development of the former Stark land, as well as for road improvements. It now sits on the corner of Stark and Lawrence Roads, and features a granite bench. The stone reads, "Birthplace of Gen. John Stark, 1728, The Hero of Bennington, 1777, Erected by the Molly Reid Chapter DAR 1897."

Molly Woodburn Reid Birthplace


pix On July 10, 1899, a granite monument was placed in Londonderry, New Hampshire, on the site of the birthplace of Molly Woodburn Reid, for whom the chapter is named. Commissioned by Regent Mary Upham Bingham, the tablet is three feet high, twenty-two inches wide, and eight inches thick, and bears the inscription, "Birthplace of Mary Woodburn, wife of General George Reid, 1735-1823. General Stark said of her, 'If there is a woman in New Hampshire fit to be Governor, it is Molly Reid.' Erected by Molly Reid Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1899."

About two-hundred people gathered for the ceremony. At the ceremony, prayer was offered and the song, "Columbia Arouse Thee," rendered by a choir. Regent Mrs. Bingham gave an historical address on the life of Molly Reid. At the unveiling of the tablet, the choir sang "Angel of Peace."



Forest Hill Cemetery


pixIn May of 1900, under the regency of Mrs. Mary Latham Clark, nineteen bronze markers were placed at the graves of Revolutionary War soldiers at Forest Hill Cemetery. Those marked are:
Lieutenant Jonathan Adams, Colonel William Adams, John Burhnam, James Choate, Peter Christie, Matthew Dickey, William Gregg, Nathaniel Jewett, Robert MacGregor, Daniel McKeen, Robert McMurphy, Daniel Miltemore, John Morrison, Enoch Ordway, General George Reid, Colonel Daniel Reynolds, Lieutenant Adam Taylor, Samuel Taylor, Seth Walker, Robert Wallace, Colonel Robert Wilson, and Robert Wilson.

The Molly Reid Chapter also provided landscaping at the Forest Hill Cemetery, in conjunction with the Derry Garden Club, on September 28, 2009.



Matthew Thornton Homestead


pix On August 31, 1909, a boulder and bronze tablet to the memory of Matthew Thornton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was unveiled on the lawn of his home in Derry. Under the regency of Miss Sarah P. Webster, the boulder was placed on the lawn in front of the house in Derry Village, which is now privately owned. Matthew Thornton lived in the home from 1740 to 1778, and practiced medicine there. The boulder is from native New Hampshire granite and is about six feet in diameter. It was originally placed under the branches of stately elm trees that were said to be planted by Thornton himself. The trees are now gone.

pixThe bronze tablet reads, "The Homestead of Hon. Matthew Thornton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence. Born in Ireland, 1714. A Physician in this Town 1740-1778. Died 1803. To His Memory The Molly Reid Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Dedicate this Stone."



Cargill Grist Mill


pix In 1936, Regent Mrs. Florence Currier commissioned a millstone monument with a bronze plaque to be placed at the site of the Cargill Grist Mill.

The mill was established in 1720 by David Cargill and continued in operation until 1828. pixCargill, father-in-law of Derry's earliest settler, James MacGregor, was part of the original band of immigrants arriving in Derry from Ireland in 1710. Cargill received the mill rights for the section of the Beaver River and had a mill at what is now Adams Pond.






Support of NSDAR


President General's Lay Light Restoration Project


pix In 2011, The 100 year-old DAR Library lay light at DAR Headquarters had become seriously deteriorated and required an extensive and immediate restoration. President General Merry Ann T. Wright launched a fundraiser to restore these panels. pix

The Molly Reid Chapter, along with the New Hampshire State Organization, donated to this project. For more information about the lay light restoration project, please see this edition of American Spirit Magazine.





New Hampshire Children's Attic


pix The DAR Museum, located in Memorial Continental Hall in Washington, D.C., features multiple American period rooms, each sponsored by a different state organization of NSDAR.

At the fall meeting in October 1928, the members of the New Hampshire State Organization voted to purchase a room to be called "The New Hampshire Children's Attic."

The New Hampshire Room represents an attic playroom and features dolls and toys from the late 18th through the early 20th centuries. Wallace Nutting, noted antiquarian, artist, author, and cabinetmaker, designed the room for NHSODAR. Mr. Nutting planned the room around an overmantel painting of a landscape that features two young girls from Piermont, New Hampshire.

Over the years, many items have been added or restored, including lighting. The Molly Reid Chapter is proud to support the New Hampshire Children's Attic.